All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years scholars have turned their attention to the rich experience of the Jesuits in France and Spain's American colonies. That attention has brought a flow of new editions and translations of Jesuit accounts of the Americas; it is w time for a study that examines the full range of that work in a comparative perspective. Jesuit Accounts of the Colonial Americas offers the first comprehensive examination of such writings and the role they played in solidifying images of the Americas. The collection also provides a much-needed re-examination of the work of the Jesuits in relation to Enlightenment ideals and the modern social sciences and humanities - two systems of thought that have in the past appeared radically opposed, but which are brought together here under the rubric of modern ethgraphic kwledge. Linking Jesuit texts, the rhetorical tradition, and the newly emerging anthropology of the Enlightenment, this collection traverses the vast expanses of Old and New World France and Spain in fascinating new ways.
- Author BiographyMarc Andre Bernier is the Canada Research Chair in Rhetoric at l'Universite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres. Clorinda Donato is the George L. Graziadio Chair of Italian Studies and professor of French and Italian at California State University, Long Beach. Hans-Jurgen Lusebrink is the Chair of Romance Cultural Studies and Intercultural Communication at Universitat des Saarlandes.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication21/08/2014
- LanguageEnglish & French
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleUCLA Clark Memorial Library Series
- Series Part/Volume Number20
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note1
- Weight860 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byClorinda Donato,Hans-Jurgen Lusebrink,Marc Andre Bernier
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.