All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver ten years ago, Benjamin Fain, a physicist w living in Tel Aviv, attempted to hold a conference on Jewish culture in Moscow, an effort that was foiled by the KGB. Many of the participants were eventually able to flee, most emigrating to Israel. In this book, these distinguished scholars and others from around the world present their personal and professional views of Jewish culture in the Soviet Union. The book explores a wide range of topics, including underground literature, religious revival, and the rise of a national Jewish consciousness. Some writers claim that the refuseniks are t the leaders of the Soviet Jews but rather an isolated mirity, with most Jews being assimilated, acculturated, and uninterested in fleeing. Other essayists look at the ambivalent role traditionally played by the Soviet Union in both allowing some forms of cultural expression and suppressing any efforts at individual religious practice. Others explore the revival of Jewish culture as instanced by underground teaching of Hebrew. A major debate involves the Nature of Jewish emigration, whether the Jews will go to Israel or to America.
- Author BiographyYAACOV RO'I is a Professor of Russian History at Tel Aviv University. Among his books are Soviet Decision Making in Practice: The USSR and Israel, 1947-1954. Avi Beker is Director of International Affairs of the World Jewish Congress and the Executive Director of the Israel Office. He was a member of the Israeli Mission to the United Nations and has published several books and many articles on International Jewish affairs.
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/1992
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight660 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byAvi Beker,Yaacov Ro'i
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.