Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionFaced with infectious diseases, starvation, lack of medicines, lack of clean water, and safe sewage, Jewish physicians practiced medicine under severe conditions in the ghettos and concentration camps of the Holocaust. Despite the odds against them, physicians managed to supply public health education, enforce hygiene protocols, inspect buildings and latrines, enact quarantine, and perform triage. Many gave their lives to help fellow prisoners. Based on archival materials and featuring memoirs of Holocaust survivors, this volume offers a rich array of both tragic and inspiring studies of the sanctification of life as practiced by Jewish medical professionals. More than simply a medical story, these histories represent the finest exemplification of a humanist moral imperative during a dark hour of recent history.
- Author BiographyMichael A. Grodin, M.D. is Professor of Health Law, Bioethics, and Human Rights at the Boston University School of Public Health, where he is also Director of the Project on Medicine and the Holocaust, and Senior Faculty at the Elie Wiesel Center for Judaic Studies and the Division of Religious and Theological Studies. As a practicing physician, Dr. Grodin has been named one of America's Top Physicians and has received a national Humanism in Medicine Award for compassion and empathy in the delivery of care to patients and their families. An internationally recognized scholar on the Holocaust, Dr. Grodin has received a special citation from the United State Holocaust Memorial Museum for profound contributions- through original and creative research - to the cause of Holocaust education and remembrance.
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/09/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note15 ills
- Weight608 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byMichael A. Grodin
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.