All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJews among Christians explores a corpus of illuminated Hebrew manuscripts of the Lake Constance region produced in the first decades of the fourteenth century. The author Sarit Shalev-Eyni, Professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, provides a detailed and insightful study of the content, design, and icography of the illustrations and decorations of a group of Ashkenahzi codices, thereby uncovering a surprising interface between Jews and Christians in the urban workshops of the time. Here, Christian artists would include midrashic components required by their Jewish instructor while drawing on the icographic traditions of their Christian education, and artists of both religions were able to represent their own theological attitudes as well as profane tendencies and parody - in short, the various aspects of late medieval culture.A close comparison with the well-kwn Gradual of St. Katharinenthal, w in Zurich, and manuscripts such as the Schocken Bible, formerly in Jerusalem, and the Tripartite Mahzor -- originally bound as two volumes, but w split between Budapest, London and Oxford -- places the corpus firmly in the Lake Constance region and all but confirms the instructor to be one Hayyim, the scribe. The author's discussion of Hayyim's life and work and her historical overview of the relations between Jews and Christians in the final chapters of the book deepens our understanding of the religious and cultural dialogue between the two faiths t only in the production of this group of manuscripts but in the course of every-day life in the Middle Ages.
- Author(s)S Shalev-Eyni,Sarit Shalev-Eyni
- PublisherBrepols N.V.
- Date of Publication29/09/2010
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintHarvey Miller Publishers
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1134 g
- Width188 mm
- Height269 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.