Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $58.99+ AU $1.99 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by bookhub-au
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $33.68+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
About this product
- DescriptionNATIONAL BESTSELLER NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY BOOKPAGE For the first time ever a comprehensive biography of one of the twentieth century s most invative creative artists: the incomparable, irreplaceable Jim Henson He was a gentle dreamer whose genial bearded visage was recognized around the world, but most people got to kw him only through the iconic characters born of his fertile imagination: Kermit the Frog, Bert and Ernie, Miss Piggy, Big Bird. The Muppets made Jim Henson a household name, but they were just part of his remarkable story. This extraordinary biography written with the generous cooperation of the Henson family covers the full arc of Henson s all-too-brief life: from his childhood in Leland, Mississippi, through the years of burgeoning fame in America, to the decade of international celebrity that preceded his untimely death at age fifty-three. Drawing on hundreds of hours of new interviews with Henson's family, friends, and closest collaborators, as well as unprecedented access to private family and company archives, Brian Jay Jones explores the creation of the Muppets, Henson s contributions to Sesame Street and Saturday Night Live, and his nearly ten-year campaign to bring The Muppet Show to television. Jones provides the imaginative context for Henson s n-Muppet projects, including the richly imagined worlds of The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth as well as fascinating misfires like Henson s dream of opening an inflatable psychedelic nightclub. An uncommonly intimate portrait, Jim Henson captures all the facets of this American original: the master craftsman who revolutionized the presentation of puppets on television, the savvy businessman whose dealmaking prowess won him a reputation as the new Walt Disney, and the creative team leader whose collaborative ethos earned him the undying loyalty of everyone who worked for him. Here also is insight into Henson s intensely private personal life: his Christian Science upbringing, his love of fast cars and expensive art, and his weakness for women. Though an optimist by nature, Henson was haunted by the tion that he would t have time to do all the things he wanted to do in life a fear that his heartbreaking final hours would prove all too well founded. An up-close look at the charmed life of a legend, Jim Henson gives the full measure to a man whose joyful genius transcended age, language, geography, and culture and continues to beguile audiences worldwide. Praise for Jim HensonJim Henson vibrantly delves into the magnificent man and his Muppet methods: It s an absolute must-read! Neil Patrick Harris An exhaustive work that is never exhausting, a credit both to Jones s brisk style and to Henson s exceptional life. TheNew York Times [A] sweeping portrait that is a mix of humor, mirth and poignancy. Washington Independent Review of Books A meticulously researched tome chock-full of gems about the Muppets and the most thorough portrait of their creator ever crafted. Associated Press Jim was one of my closest friends. And yet I found out things about him in Jim Henson that were new to me. Brian Jay Jones has captured the layers of Jim s genius and humanity, as well as the flaws that made Jim, like all of us, so delightfully imperfect. I thank Brian for giving Jim life again. This book has captured the spirit of Jim Henson. Frank Oz
- Author BiographyBrian Jay Jones is an award-winning biographer and vice president of Biographers International Organization. Jones is a devoted member of the Jim Henson generation, having been two years old when Sesame Street premiered in 1969 and nine when The Muppet Show debuted in 1976. A former policy analyst and advisor in the U.S. Senate, Jones abandoned politics for the pen in 2008, with the publication of his award-winning biography, Washington Irving. He lives with his wife and daughter in Damascus, Maryland. His favorite Muppet is Rowlf (thanks for asking).
- Author(s)Brian Jay Jones
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication24/10/2013
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBallantine Books Inc.
- Out-of-print date08/05/2015
- Content NotePhoto Insert and Chapter Openers
- Weight975 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine43 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.