Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $92.04Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $105.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStill a highly visible figure, Joan Baez has long been kwn for social activism and her support of people victimized by poverty and political misfortune. To trace her career is comparable to tracing the social history of her time, and it is often difficult to separate the political activist from the musician. This volume is a comprehensive reference guide to her life and career. A biography concisely summarizes her achievements, while antated entries detail her work in music and film. Entries provide critical commentary, and a bibliography cites and antates additional works. In 1960, when Joan Baez was just 19 years old, she had already signed a contract with Vanguard Records and released her first, and perhaps most influential, album of folk songs, ^IJoan Baez^R. Her rapid rise in music seemed effortless, and she quickly became a symbol of the blossoming youth culture. She easily filled a niche within the music industry and became the first female artist to achieve massive international success as a folk singer. Still a highly visible figure, she has long been kwn for social activism and her support of people victimized by poverty and political misfortune. Through a concise biography and extensive antated entries, this volume is a comprehensive guide to Joan Baez's tremendous contribution to music and to American social history. The opening biography explores the formative years of her career, her early successes, and her continuing achievements as an artist who has grown with the times and who continues to record compelling new music. Because it is so difficult to separate the activist from the musician, it also discusses her political contributions and her lasting influence. The chapters that follow are devoted to her recordings and to her films, with entries in each chapter providing full information for individual performances. Entries include release dates, songs, songwriters, musicians, production credits, review excerpts, and critical commentary.
- Author BiographyCHARLES J. FUSS is a freelance writer. He has written several articles about popular music for Goldmine Magazine. Joan Baez: A Bio-Bibliography is his first book.
- Author(s)Charles J. Fuss
- Date of Publication13/09/1996
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitleBio-Bibliographies in the Performing Arts
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 70
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight531 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.21Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.