All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJoe Burke is handsome, capable, getting a little gray at the temples. Divorce has left him wondering what's next. He throws a few belongings in his truck and leaves town to find out, a search that takes him from Maine to Hawaii. A joyful, powerful, book about sex, love, art, and finding one's teachers.
- Author BiographyI was born in Greenwich Village, New York City, but raised, mostly, by my grandparents in Woodstock, a small town in the Catskill mountains. Midway through sophomore year at Hamilton College, an inner voice said, Get out! It seemed crazy, but I knew it was the right thing to do. A fraternity brother told me I'd have no trouble finding work on the shrimp boats in Key West. I hitchhiked south. In Key West, I walked to the harbor and asked for a job on the first boat I found that had anyone on board. The captain said, Shrimp season's over, kid. I think he felt sorry for me. He pointed to a rusty shrimper across the water. He might take you. I picked up my bag and ran around to the other jetty, arriving just as the boat began to pull away. A man on deck was doing something with a cable. He wore a sweatshirt and had a two-day growth. I'm looking for work, I shouted over the engine. You a winch man? The winch occupied a large part of the deck, a complicated assembly of giant gears and levers. The strip of water below my feet widened. It was jump or forget it. I had a vision of winching the boat upside down in the Gulf. I shook my head and walked to the Southern Cross Hotel, a wooden building with white peeling paint and a sign declaring, The Southernmost Hotel in the United States. I wrote it down in a notebook and have been writing ever since. Along the way I served in the Air Force, earned a degree in computer science from the University of Hawaii, married twice, and raised children. The adventures, the loves and betrayals, the teachers, the lessons---they are in my stories and poems, where, like all writers, I have tried to make of my deeper bio something worthwhile.
- Author(s)John Moncure Wetterau
- Date of Publication12/10/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight195 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.18
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.57Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.