All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohannes Brahms was one of music's greatest masters of classical forms, a composer whose individuality expanded and enriched those forms, giving them new variety of mood and a freshness of melodic invention. In writing for the orchestra, Brahms's independent approach brought unusual dramatic power and intensity to his compositions. Those qualities are strikingly evident in three of the most popular and most frequently performed works in the orchestral repertoire, reproduced here in full score: Academic Festival Overture, Tragic Overture, and Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn.This volume reprints, complete and unabridged, the scores of all three orchestral works from the authoritative Breitkopf & Hartel edition, still considered the standard source for the music of Brahms. Included is a new English translation of the Editor's Commentary, which also appears in the original German.The Academic Festival Overture, built upon German student songs, is, according to Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians, a very successful and individual piece de circonstance, while the Tragic Overture is described as a gloomy and impressive movement, full of that peculiar sense of foreboding that so many composers have associated with the key of D mir. Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn is rewned for its spontaneity, melodic invention, and delightfully varied orchestral coloring.Students, composers, and musicologists will find the handy, inexpensive volume of Brahms's great orchestral favorites a valuable addition to their music libraries and an indispensable reference.
- Author BiographyGerman-born composer Johannes Brahms (1833 97), an important figure of the Romantic era, spent most of his career at the forefront of the Viennese musical scene. A master of counterpoint, he wrote for piano, chamber ensembles, symphony orchestras, and voice.
- Author(s)Johannes Brahms
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication01/06/1984
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Weight356 g
- Width237 mm
- Height308 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.