All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Cage: The Zen Ox-Herding Pictures brings together fifty never-before-seen watercolour images from rewned artist and composer John Cage, revealing the powerful influence of Zen in his life and work. These pieces were originally created on paper towels at the 1988 Mountain Lake Workshop as Cage experimented with the flow and tone of colours from his brush as he prepared for larger works. Authors Stephen Addiss and Ray Kass unite them here in patterns both planned and dictated by chance, the same methods by which Cage himself composed his later works. Ray Kass and Stephen Addiss provide introductory essays, discussing their experience with the works and the artist himself. They also explore fragments of Cage's poetry and his many statements about Zen practice, providing a fascinating lens through which the images seem to become mysterious echoes of the centuries-old Ten Ox-Herding Paintings - images about searching for, finding, and returning from the path to enlightenment.
- Author BiographyRay Kass is founder of the Mountain Lake Workshops and Professor of Art Emeritus at Virginia Tech University. Stephen Addiss is Tucker-Boatwright Professor in the Humanities: Art, University of Richmond, and author of several books on Zen art.
- Author(s)Ray Kass,Stephen Addiss
- PublisherGeorge Braziller Inc
- Date of Publication17/11/2009
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGeorge Braziller Inc
- Content Note60 col, 12 b/w
- Weight721 g
- Width215 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.