CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- Description'Whenever I look at him, it is as though the Messiah has returned.' That's how Jimmy Murphy, manager of Wales' 1958 World Cup side, described John Charles. In Italy, where he played for Juventus and Roma, Charles was kwn as Il Gigante Buo - the Gentle Giant - because of his placid temperament. One of the greatest footballers Britain has ever produced, Charles left his native Swansea at 16 to join Leeds United, where his phemenal strike rate helped the club reach the First Division for the first time in its history. His goal-scoring exploits at Ellan Road then attracted the attention of Juventus, who paid a British record of GBP65,000 to take him to Turin in 1957. Charles went on to score an incredible 105 goals in 178 appearances for I Bianconeri - the Black and Whites - and helped them to win three Series A titles in five years. In contrast to his humble upbringing in South Wales, he enjoyed a glamorous lifestyle in Italy. However, it was t all glory. A disasterous return to Leeds United in 1962 was followed by a spell at Roma, where he struggled to recapture his past form. The man who was treated as a god in Turin wound down his playing career with Cardiff City before turning to management in the Southern League. This detailed and engrossing biography contains candid interviews with former teammates and family members and follows Charles' life after football, detailing his failed business ventures and his brave fight against cancer.
- Author BiographyMario Risoli is a journalist and writer. His first book, When Pele Broke Our Hearts, made the Sunday Times top-ten bestseller list and Arrivederci Swansea: The Giorgia Chinaglia Story, also received critical acclaim. He lives and works in Wales.
- Author(s)Mario Risoli
- PublisherMainstream Publishing
- Date of Publication04/09/2003
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMainstream Publishing
- Content Note8pp illustrations
- Weight300 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.