Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.12
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1916 John Dewey published 'Democracy and Education: An introduction to the philosophy of education'. In this book some of today's foremost historians, philosophers, psychologists, and sociologists of education mark the anniversary of Dewey's work by reviewing and reflecting, from a British perspective, on Dewey's contribution to our understanding of the role of education in a democracy. Together the essays provide a critique of the current relationship between education and democracy, and also explore the contemporary relevance of Dewey's magnum opus for the role of education in societies which he characterized as 'minally democratic'. The distinguished contributors show how Dewey's ideas and battles are still being drawn upon in the controversies that continue to animate education in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, as a tribute to one of the foremost educational thinkers from the United States.
- Author BiographySteve Higgins is Professor of Education at Durham University. Frank Coffield is Emeritus Professor at the UCL Institute of Education. Gary McCulloch is the Brian Simon Professor of History of Education at the UCL Institute of Education. Dr Steven Cowan is a Lecturer in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the UCL Institute of Education. Diane Reay is Professor of Education at Cambridge University. Lorna Unwin, OBE, is Professor Emerita of Vocational Education at the UCL Institute of Education. Vivienne Baumfield is Professor of Pedagogy, Policy and Innovation in the School of Education, Unversity of Glasgow. Michael Fielding is Emeritus Professor of Education at the UCL Institute of Education. Jan Derry is Professor of Philosophy of Education at the UCL Institute of Education. Gert Biesta is Professor of Education and Director of Research at Brunel University London, and Visiting Professor in Art Education at ArtEZ Institute of the Arts, in the Netherlands.
- PublisherInstitute of Education Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintInstitute of Education Press
- Weight386 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byFrank Coffield,Steve Higgins
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.