All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume makes available for the first time critical editions of John Locke's A Vindication and A Second Vindication of the Reasonableness of Christianity, in which Locke defends his interpretation of the New Testament and of the Christian Religion against charges of heterodoxy. These works contribute greatly to our understanding of Locke's Christian commitments, which it is w recognized played an important role in shaping his philosophical opinions; they also demonstrate his sophistication as a biblical scholar, and the breadth of his theological learning. The texts are accompanied by a historical introduction explaining the origin of the works and setting them in context. In addition to a textual introduction and critical apparatus, editorial tes help to clarify the text. The volume also includes a French translation and abridgment by Pierre Coste, a Huguet scholar, who was patronized by Locke and worked on his translations while residing in Locke's household. This definitive edition is an important contribution to an understanding of the development of modern enlightened Christian attitudes.
- Author BiographyVictor Nuovo has lectured at Middlebury College, Vermont, since 1962as Professor of Religion, and then as Professor of Philosophy from 1975. He completed his PhD at Columbia University, and is the author of translations of two of Paul Tillich's early writings on Schelling, The Construction of the History of Religion in Schelling's Positive Philosophy and Mysticism and Guilt-Consciousness in Schelling's Philosophical Development (1975), and a study of Tillich's theology of culture: Visionary Science (1987). He has been working on early modern philosophy for over twenty years, and has been engaged in Locke studies since retirement from full time teaching.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication26/04/2012
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Series TitleClarendon Edition of the Works of John Locke
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2011
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note10 illustrations
- Weight740 g
- Width148 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byVictor Nuovo
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.