Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.84+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Ormond (1923-1990) is one of the remarkable generation of poets born in south Wales in the early 1920s which includes Dannie Abse and Leslie Norris. A journalist on Picture Post during its heyday in the 1940s, he was a friend of fellow Swansea writers Dylan Thomas and Vern Watkins, both of whom were key influences on a poetry of consistently high standards. A significant number of his poems, many of them elegiac, probe his Welsh roots, demonstrating an abiding concern with family and locality. Others focus on particular aspects of the natural world, seeking to capture their elusive quiddities. Stylistically, they vary from the extremely plain to the highly-wrought; are witty and ironic, paradoxical and conceited. Typically unsentimental, shapely and meticulously crafted, his are the poems of a sensibility which delights in explorations, probes complex themes and problematical areas of feeling, and refuses to settle for easy answers. In addition to his writing Ormond had a distinguished career with BBC Wales as a director and producer of documentary films, which include studies of Welsh painters and writers such as Ceri Richards, Kyffin Williams, Dylan Thomas, Alun Lewis and R.S. Thomas. The insight and visual awareness which mark his films also inform his poetry, a selection of which was published in the Penguin Modern Poets series. This Collected Poems draws together all of Ormond's work, including unpublished material. It includes an Introduction by the editor, Michael Collins, tes and commentary of the poems re their geneses, backgrounds, allusions and meanings, and a bibliography of Ormond's prose writing, films and writing about him. An index of titles and first lines completes this essential book.
- Author BiographyMichael J. Collins is Professor of English and Dean Emeritus at Georgetown University. He held the position of Dean of the School for Summer and Continuing for 22 years and served as Director of the Villa Le Balze, the University's Study Center in Fiesole, Italy, which John Ormond visited a number times and which resulted in his brilliant long poem, 'Tuscan Cypresses'. He also teaches a course on Shakespeare each summer in England and has edited a collection of essays on Shakespeare's early comedies. He has published articles on Shakespeare and on modern poetry, and he regularly reviews performances of Shakespeare for Shakespeare Bulletin.
- PublisherPoetry Wales Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBridgend
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight363 g
- Width135 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byMichael Collins
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.