All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLook Back in Anger is one of the few works of drama that are indisputably central to British culture in general, and its name is one of the most well-kwn in postwar cultural history. Its premiere in 1956 sparked off the first 'new wave' of kitchen-sink drama and the cultural phemen of the Angry Young Man. The play's anti-hero, Jimmy Porter, became the spokesman of a generation. Osborne's play is a key milestone in 'new writing' for British theatre, and the Royal Court - which produced the play - has since become one of the most important new writing theatres in the UK.This guide provides a comprehensive critical introduction to the play, giving students an overview of the background and context; detailed analysis of the play's structure, style, characters etc; analysis of key production issues and choices; overview of the performance history from the 1956 Royal Court premiere to recent revivals; and an antated guide to further reading highlighting key critical approaches.This guide provides accessible, informative critical introductions to modern plays for students in both Theatre/Performance Studies and English. Offering up-to-date coverage of a broad range of key plays throughout modern drama, the guides include accounts of performance history, production analysis, screen adaptations and summaries of important critical approaches and debates.
- Author BiographyAleks Sierz is theatre critic of Tribune and reviews regularly for other publications. He is a writer, journalist and broadcaster, as well as a part-time academic. He teaches modern drama at Boston University, London.
- Author(s)Aleks Sierz
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication21/02/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleModern Theatre Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.