All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA classic biography of John Paul Jones for young readers in a new, illustrated edition. Called a pirate by the British and a patriot by the Americans, John Paul Jones was a brilliant sea captain, a true American hero, and the father of the U.S. Navy. With this classic biography for young readers by Newbery Medal winner Armstrong Sperry, readers will imagine themselves on deck at the side of the great captain, engaging enemy ships in close combat. Jones became an invaluable asset to the rebellious American colonists in their fight for independence when he offered his services to the newly established Continental Navy. In a barely seaworthy ship, theBonhomme Richard, named in hor of his benefactor Benjamin Franklin, Jones harassed and captured British ships and took cargoes desperately needed by the impoverished rebels. Sperry draws a full and brilliant portrait of America's first naval hero.
- Author BiographyArmstrong Sperry was an award-winning author and illustrator of children's books. As a young man, Sperry traveled extensively among the islands of the Pacific, and his experiences at sea and among the peoples of Polynesia were to influence his art and writing for the rest of his life. His book All Sail Set, which he wrote about the clipper ship Flying Cloud, was named a Newbery Honor Book in 1936. Five years later, Call It Courage, a tale of a young Polynesian boy written and illustrated by Sperry won the Newbery Medal.
- Author(s)Armstrong Sperry
- PublisherMotorbooks International
- Date of Publication11/10/2016
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Series TitleYoung Voyageur
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMotorbooks International
- Content Note45 color & 10 b-w photos
- Weight8 g
- Width139 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 9
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.