All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionContributions by Christopher Baker, Cristina Borgioli, Louisa M. Conr Bulman, Antonella Capitanio, Marco Collareta, Peter Davidson, Francisco Freddolini, Cristia Giometti, John Harris, Elisabeth Kieven, and Cinzia Maria Sicca This handsome book is the only full-length study of John Talman (1677--1726), first director of the Society of Antiquaries and one of the most influential collectors of drawings in early 18th-century Britain. Prominent scholars discuss the history of Talman's acquisitions, shedding light on the competitive nature, social practices, and aesthetic ideas of conisseurship both in England and abroad. Talman's collection, amassed in England, Florence, and Rome between the 1690s and 1719, focused on Italian medieval art, architecture, and textiles as well as Renaissance and Baroque architecture and sculpture. It reflected the tastes and preoccupations of artistic and intellectual elites in pre-enlightenment Europe. A vehicle for disseminating aesthetic and historical ideas, the collection became t only an extraordinary document of the state of ancient and modern Italian monuments but also a history of architecture and culture at large that provided visual evidence of buildings and rituals lost through time.
- Author BiographyCinzia Maria Sicca is Associate Professor at the University of Pisa.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/02/2009
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleYale Center for British Art
- Series Part/Volume Number19
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note108 colour illustrations
- Weight1111 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byCinzia Sicca
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.