All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
About this product
- DescriptionJohn W. Thompson: Psychiatrist in the Shadow of the Holocaust is the biography of a doctor whose revulsion at Nazi human experiments prompted him to seek a humane basis for physician-patient relations. As a military scientific intelligence officer in 1945, Thompson was the first to name medical war crimes as a special category for prosecution. His investigations laid the groundwork for the Nuremberg medical trials and for the vel idea of informed consent. Yet, Thompson has remained a little-kwn figure, despite his many scientific, literary, and religious connections. This book traces Thompson's life from his birth in Mexico, through his studies at Stanford, Edinburgh, and Harvard, and his service in the Canadian Air Force. It reconstructs his therapeutic work with Unesco in Germany and his time as a Civil Rights activist in New York, where he developed his concept of holistic medicine. Thompson was close to authors like Auden and Spender and inspirational religious figures like Jean Vanier, founder of L'Arche. He drew on ideas of Freud, Jung, and Buber. The philosophical and religious dimensions of Thompson's response to Holocaust victims' suffering are key to this study, which cites accounts of psychiatrists, students and patients who knew Thompson personally, war crimes prosecution records, and unpublished personal papers. Paul Weindling is Wellcome Trust Research Professor at the Centre for Health, Medicine and Society: Past and Present, Oxford Brookes University, UK.
- Author BiographyPaul Weindling is Wellcome Trust Research professor in the History of Medicine, Department of History, Oxford Brookes University.
- Author(s)Paul J. Weindling
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2013
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationRochester
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintUniversity of Rochester Press
- Content Note10, 9 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white line drawings, 9 black and white, 1 line drawing
- Weight710 g
- Width153 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.