All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTold by Manu, this vel journeys through 18th-century London and Demerara in British Guiana, recounting experiences that might be dreamed or remembered. With a diverse cast--including slaves, lowly women on the make, lustful overseers, sodomites, and pious Jews--these characters come alive from artist William Hogarth's engravings; Hogarth himself also appears as a drunkard official artist in Demerara, from whom the slave Cato steals his skills and discovers a way of remaking his world. From the dens of sexual specialties, where the ex-slave Francis conducts a highly popular flagellant mission to cure his clients of their man-love and preach abolition, to the sugar estates of Demerara, this vel revels in the connections of empire, art, literature, and human desire in ways that are comic, salutary, and redemptive.
- Author BiographyDavid Dabydeen is a professor at the Center for Caribbean Studies at the University of Warwick and a former roving ambassador for Guyana. He is the author of A Harlot's Progress, The Intended, and Our Lady of Demerara.
- Author(s)David Dabydeen
- PublisherPeepal Tree Press Ltd
- Date of Publication10/06/2013
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationYorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeepal Tree Press Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width135 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.99New
- AU $71.82New
- AU $91.13New
- AU $79.26New
- AU $49.25New
- AU $21.55New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $30.99
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.37
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.26
- AU $10.69Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.11
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.87
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $19.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.