All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionHow did a small Canadian regional league come to dominate a North American continental sport? Joining the Clubs: The Business of the National Hockey League to 1945 tells the fascinating story of the game off the ice, offering a play-by-play of cooperation and competition among owners, players, arenas, and spectators that produced a major league business enterprise. Ross explores the ways in which the NHL organized itself to maintain long-term stability, deal with its labor force, and adapt its product and structure to the demands of local, regional, and international markets. He argues that sports leagues like the NHL pursued a strategy that responded both to standard commercial incentives and also to consumer demands that the product provide cultural meaning. Leagues successfully used the cartel form - an ostensibly illegal association of businesses that cooperated to mopolize the market for professional hockey - along with a focus on locally branded clubs, to manage competition and attract spectators to the sport. In addition, the NHL had ather special challenge: unlike other major leagues, it was a binational league that had to sell and manage its sport in two different countries. Joining the Clubs pays close attention to these national differences, as well as to the context of a historical period characterized by war and peace, by rapid ecomic growth and dire recession, and by the momentous techlogical and social changes of the modern age.
- Author BiographyJ. Andrew Ross is a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada. He has published numerous articles and chapters on the history of business, and has edited a collection of biographies of entrepreneurs.
- Author(s)J.Andrew Ross
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2015
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectWinter Sports
- Series TitleSports and Entertainment
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Content Note14 black and white illustrations, 3 figures, 1 map, 2 tables
- Weight744 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.