All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring his extraordinary career, the w-legendary Canadian ter Jon Vickers sang the most demanding of operatic roles -- Tristan, Peter Grimes, Otello, Aeneas, Parsifal -- with searing emotional intensity and dramatic interpretation. In this first biography of Vickers, Jeannie Williams provides a captivating and revealing portrait of a very private, deeply religious man and complex artist who baffled and often enraged his friends and colleagues. Drawing on scores of interviews with those who knew and worked with Vickers, Williams traces his life from boyhood in western Canada, to schooling in Toronto, to his debut at Covent Garden, to his tenure at the Royal Opera House, to his celebrated appearances on the world's major opera stages. She discusses his signature roles, including details of a little-kwn Otello in South Africa, over-the-edge performances, and stormy battles with conductors and directors. In addition, she details Vickers' controversial withdrawal from the Tannhuser opera, his on-going friction with BBC-TV, his conflicted relationship with his native Canada, and his choices in repertory. Williams also illuminates the paradoxes in the world view of a man who might have been a preacher or a prime minister if he had t been blessed with such a remarkable musical talent. This in-depth, well-balanced, and objective biography will stand as the definitive work on one of the world's greatest heroic ters.
- Author BiographyJeannie Williams has been a staff columnist and founding editor of USA Today, and has written on opera for Opera News, Opera Monthly, Opera Quarterly, BBC Music Magazine, New York Magazine, and the magazine of the Lyric Opera of Chicago. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Jeannie Williams
- PublisherNortheastern University Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2007
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationBoston, Massachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNortheastern University Press
- Out-of-print date16/04/2015
- Content Note31 illustrations
- Weight599 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.