All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the past decade, an increasing volume of psychological research has been conducted on social exclusion by social and developmental psychologists. The very best of this new body of work is showcased in this volume, providing an understanding of how children experience, evaluate, and understand exclusion as well as inclusion. For interventions to be effective, programs designed to ameliorate social problems associated with exclusion need to be based on an understanding of how, why, and under what conditions, social groups make decisions to exclude others, how children experience this exclusion, and how this originates and changes over the course of the lifespan. This volume draws together and foregrounds social and developmental psychological research to show its central relevance to the social exclusion of children.
- Author BiographyDominic Abrams is Professor of Social Psychology and Director of the Centre for the Study of Group Processes at the University of Kent at Canterbury. His research expertise includes social identity and intergroup relations (e.g., the contact hypothesis, nationalism, collective protest, contemporary aspects of prejudice), deviance (particularly the subjective group dynamics model) and social identity in organizational contexts. He is the President of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, co-editor of Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, and co-editor of The Social Psychology of Inclusion and Exclusion (2005) with M.A. Hogg and J. M. Marques. Melanie Killen is Professor of Human Development and Quantitative Methodology, Professor of Psychology (Affiliate), and the Associate Director for the Center for Children, Relationships, and Culture at the University of Maryland. Her research expertise includes the development of social inclusion and exclusion, moral reasoning, intergroup attitudes, prejudice, and bias in peer groups, peer interactions and social relationships in childhood and adolescence. She is Associate Editor of the journal Child Development, co-author of Children and Social Exclusion: Morality, Prejudice and Group Identity (2011) with Adam Rutland, and Editor of the Handbook on Moral Development (2006, 2014) with Judith Smetana.
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication13/05/2014
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleJournal of Social Issues (JOSI)
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Weight276 g
- Width155 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byAnn Bettencourt,Ricardo E. Barreras,Sean G. Massey
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.