All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $72.00Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1821, Maria Dundas Graham sailed for South America on H.M.S. Doris, a ship sent to protect British mercantile interests in that volatile region. After her husband, the ship's captain Thomas Graham, died en route, the newly widowed Maria Graham landed in Valparaiso, Chile. Resisting all efforts to hustle her back to England, Graham, a professional writer and highly educated woman, rented herself a cottage in the Chilean--t the British--section of Valparaiso and traveled through Chile for nine months until driven out by a major earthquake and the threat of civil war.The resulting Journal of a Residence in Chile (1824) tells the gripping story of a gothic heroine in a dangerous but fascinating new land. The author has an eye for detail and a gift for storytelling, and so she creates a travel narrative with a compelling plot and vividly realized characters.Among the first travel narratives authored by a woman, Graham's Journal establishes literary strategies for travel texts to follow and shows clear differences from male narratives of the same period. The Journal, with Jennifer Hayward's illuminating new biographical and critical essays and appendices, is also invaluable for scholars and general readers interested in Latin America. Graham provides one of the few firsthand accounts in English of the independence movements in South America, meets with many of the major historical figures involved, provides detailed historical and political readings of events, and depicts Chile of the 1820s in accurate and loving detail.
- Author BiographyJennifer Hayward is Associate Professor of English at the College of Wooster and the author of Consuming Pleasures: Active Audiences and Serial Fictions from Dickens to Soaps, a Choice Magazine Outstanding Academic Book selection of 1998.
- Author(s)Maria Graham
- PublisherUniversity of Virginia Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2003
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationCharlottesville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Virginia Press
- Content Note15 b&w illustrations, bibliographical references, index
- Weight494 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byJennifer Hayward
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.