All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJournalism in the Civil War Era examines the contributions of newspapers and magazines to the American public's understanding of the nation's greatest internal conflict. It documents the effect the Civil War had on journalism, and the effect journalism had on the Civil War. It describes the politics that affected the press, the constraints placed upon it, and the influence of techlogy. The book discusses the editors and reporters who covered the war, profiling the typical newspaper of the era as well as the response of the press corps to wartime challenges. Providing a broad account of journalism during this period, this book serves as an important reference for scholars and students, and as a supplementary text for courses in journalism history, U.S. press history, civil rights law, and nineteenth century history.
- Author BiographyDavid W. Bulla, an associate professor at Iowa State University, has researched primarily nineteenth-century journalism with an emphasis on the limitations of the performance of the press. His first book, Lincoln's Censor, explored press suppression in Indiana during the Civil War. Bulla earned a Ph.D. in mass communication from the University of Florida in 2004, an M.A. in journalism from Indiana University in 2001, and a B.A. in English from UNC-Greensboro in 1983. Gregory A. Borchard, an associate professor in the Hank Greenspun School of Journalism and Media Studies at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, earned a Ph.D. in mass communication from the University of Florida in 2003. He has published work primarily about the antebellum press, including articles for American Journalism, Journalism History, and reference materials about The New York Tribune. He teaches journalism history, reporting, writing, and methods.
- Author(s)David W. Bulla,Gregory A. Borchard
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication02/07/2010
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleMediating American History
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2010
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteill.
- Weight520 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.89Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.