All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJourney to the Heart of the First Peoples Collections reveals objects of unimagined beauty and rarity. Its pages will bring you into the world of the Aboriginal nations of Quebec, Canada, the United States, Amazonia, and Oceania. The history of this collection spans a period stretching from New France, with objects brought back by the priests of the Seminaire de Quebec from missions in various regions of the Americas, to the present, with the most recent donations by collectors passionate about history and the ways of life of the First Peoples. Let yourself be enthralled by one of the oldest and richest collections in the Musees de la civilisation. The collections at Quebec's Musees de la Civilisation are rich and diversified, and its First Peoples collections are among the world's most important. This book presents more than 150 objects attributed to indigeus peoples, mainly from North America but also from the Amazon region and from Oceania. Objects are described using the First Nations' authentic menclature, thus providing a scientific contribution to ethlogy and the museum community. This will ensure the use of a correct and accurate vocabulary for the names of objects, material, provenance, and uses of the different objects. Some 20 authors were asked to write articles dealing with the development and the history of the collections. Taking a new look at the artifacts and archival material, they revisit the history of relations between Europeans and first peoples, up to and including joint Museum-First Nation exhibitions and projects.
- Author BiographyMarie-Paule Robitaille worked as curator of Amerindian and Metis collections for Parks Canada and manager of the Maison Louis Riel in Winnipeg, Canada. She has been the curator of the Musee de la civilisation in Quebec City since 1988, Canada.
- PublisherBaraka Books
- Date of Publication30/05/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBaraka Books
- Weight825 g
- Width229 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byMarie-Paule Robitaille
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.