All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this remarkable book, recounting his long, influential career as a congressman from New York, Stephen Solarz gives an insider's view of the life of a hard-working legislator in the forefront of democracy movements and human rights during a tumultuous time in our nation's history. A member of the class of 1974, the so-called Watergate class, when 75 freshman Democrats were elected to the Congress, Solarz was part of the group that brought about a power shift in the House from an inner circle of senior committee chairs to a much larger group of subcommittee leaders. Early on he sought and won a seat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, where he earned a reputation as an expert in international relations, traveling to more than 100 countries and meeting the likes of Anwar Sadat, Menachem Begin, Nelson Mandela, Indira Gandhi, Saddam Hussein, Kim Il Sung, and Robert Mugabe. Solarz gives fascinating, detailed descriptions of his role in bringing democracy to South Korea and Taiwan, the triumph of people power in the Philippines, the peace agreement in Cambodia, the abolition of apartheid in South Africa, and the adoption of the resolution authorizing the use of force in the first Gulf War. Written in an engaging style, Journeys to War and Peace will appeal to all who value the struggle for human rights and seek a better understanding between differing cultures and peoples.
- Author BiographySTEPHEN J. SOLARZ (1940 2010) served for 24 years in public office both in the New York State Assembly and in the U.S. House of Representatives. He was elected from Brooklyn s 13th Congressional District to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1974 and reelected eight times. He served for 18 years on the U.S. House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, serving as chairman of the Subcommittee on Asian and Pacific Affairs, and the Subcommittee on Africa. As a congressman, he traveled widely and met with dozens of world leaders, and became a leading spokesman on behalf of democracy and human rights. Mr. Solarz is a graduate of Brandeis University, class of 1962.
- Author(s)Norman Ornstein,Stephen J. Solarz
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication14/06/2011
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content Note, black & white illustrations
- Weight650 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.