Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.84Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.73Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe classic overview of the Jewish religion, updated to address such contemporary issues as the rights of women, medical ethics, the Holocaust, Arabs and Jews, homosexuality, and more, integrated with the earlier writings on the key ideas of Judaism: the chosen people, the Law, God, the Holy Land, the cycle of the year, prayer, immortality, sin and atonement, the nature of man, and the purpose of creation. In his interpretations of the contemporary controversies, Arthur Hertzberg provided moving testimony to the integrity of the Jewish spirit through the ages. Many of the discussions of the first edition were rewritten to take account of the various forms of Judaism in the last two centuries, whether Orthodox, Conservative, or Reform. This book was the result of a lifetime of study and reflection by one of the most distinguished authorities on Judaism. Rabbi Hertzberg offered the contemporary reader a coherent and meaningful account of one of the world's great religions.
- Author BiographyRabbi Arthur Hertzberg was the author of a dozen books on the Jewish faith, including The French Enlightenment and the Jews, as well as a contributor to The New York Times, The New York Review of Books, and The New York Times Book Review. At the time of his death in 2006, he was professor emeritus at Dartmouth College and the Bronfman Professor of Humanities at New York University.
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication15/09/2008
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight317 g
- Width139 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byArthur Hertzberg
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.