All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPeter F. Hamilton's superbly imagined, cunningly plotted interstellar adventures are conceived on a staggeringly epic scale and filled with fully realized human and alien characters as complex as they are engaging. No mere world builder, Hamilton creates entire universes--and he does so with irresistible flair and intelligence. His previous vel, the acclaimed Pandora's Star, introduced the Intersolar Commonwealth, a star-spanning civilization of the twenty-fourth century. Robust, peaceful, and confident, the Commonwealth dispatched a ship to investigate the mystery of a disappearing star, only to inadvertently unleash a predatory alien species that turned on its liberators, striking hard, fast, and utterly without mercy.The Prime are the Commonwealth's worst nightmare. Coexistence is impossible with the techlogically advanced aliens, who are genetically hardwired to exterminate all other forms of life. Twenty-three planets have already fallen to the invaders, with casualties in the hundreds of millions. And one kws when or where the gecidal Prime will strike next.Nor are the Prime the only threat. For more than 100 years, a shadowy cult, the Guardians of Selfhood, has warned that an alien with mind-control abilities impossible to detect or resist--the Starflyer--has secretly infiltrated the Commonwealth. Branded as terrorists, the Guardians and their leader, Bradley Johansson, have been hunted by relentless investigator Paula Myo. But w evidence suggests that the Guardians were right all along and that the Starflyer has placed agents in vital posts throughout the Commonwealth--agents who are w sabotaging the war effort. Is the Starflyer an ally of the Prime, or has it orchestrated a fight to the death between the two species for its own advantage?Caught between two deadly enemies, one a brutal invader striking from without, the other a remorseless cancer killing from within, the fractious Commonwealth must unite as never before.This will be humanity's finest hour--or its last gasp.
- Author BiographyPeter F. Hamilton was born in Rutland in 1960 and still lives near Rutland Water. He began writing in 1987 and sold his first short story to Fear magazine in 1988. He has also been published in Interzone and the anthologies In Dreams and New Worlds, as well as in several small-press publications. His novels include the Greg Mandel series-Mindstar Rising, A Quantum Murder, and The Nano Flower-and the bestselling Night's Dawn trilogy, The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, and The Naked God. He is also the author of A Second Chance at Eden, a novella and six short stories set in the same brilliantly realized universe, and The Confederation Handbook, a vital guide to the Night's Dawn trilogy. Among his most recent novels are Fallen Dragon and Misspent Youth. British narrator John Lee has read audiobooks in almost every conceivable genre, from Charles Dickens to Patrick O'Brian, and from the very real life of Napoleon to the entirely imagined lives of sorcerers and swashbucklers. He has won numerous Audie Awards and AudioFile Earphones Awards, and he was named a Golden Voice by AudioFile in 2009. Lee is also an accomplished stage actor and wrote and coproduced the feature films Breathing Hard and Forfeit.
- Author(s)Peter F. Hamilton
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication04/08/2008
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Series TitleCommonwealth Saga
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 2
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight101 g
- Width163 mm
- Height137 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Narrator(s)John Lee
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time2340
- Edition StatementUnabridged
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $34.22Trending at AU $38.86
- AU $32.09Trending at AU $37.42
- AU $18.92Trending at AU $20.08
- AU $15.19Trending at AU $19.84
- AU $12.47Trending at AU $16.83
- AU $31.73Trending at AU $34.80
- AU $17.82Trending at AU $20.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.