All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis bible commentary traces the reception of Judges through the ages, t only by scholars and theologians, but also by preachers, teachers, politicians, poets, essayists and artists. A bible commentary focusing on The Book of Judges , best kwn for the tale of Samson and Delilah, but full of many other rich and colorful stories. This book: treats the text story by story, making it accessible to n-specialists; considers the stories of women in Judges , including Deborah, Jael, who slew Sisera, and Jephthah's daughter, sacrificed by her father; traces the reception of Judges through the ages, t only by scholars and theologians, but also by preachers, teachers, politicians, poets, essayists and artists; illustrates how ideology and the social location of readers have shaped the way the book has been read; discloses a long history of debate over the roles of women and the use of force, as well as Christian prejudice against Jews and 'Orientals'; and, offers a window onto the use of the Bible in the Western world.
- Author BiographyDavid M. Gunn holds the A. A. Bradford Chair of Religion at Texas Christian University. His other books include Gender, Power, and Promise: The Subject of the Bible's First Story (1993) and Narrative in the Hebrew Bible (1993), as co-author, and Reading Bibles, Writing Bodies: Identity and the Book (1996) and Imagining Biblical Worlds: Spatial, Social and Historical Constructs (2002), as co-editor. He is also co-author of the article on Judges in the Dictionary of Biblical Interpretation (1999).
- Author(s)David Gunn
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication16/12/2004
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Series TitleBlackwell Bible Commentaries
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note35
- Weight508 g
- Width154 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.