All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe central question taken up by this essay collection is the degree to which judges have-or have t-served as protectors of human rights. Although the judiciary is minally a part of the governing structure, it is also nearly always the case that it stands apart from the political actors who make and carry out policy. Thus, Gibney and Frankowski contend, judges have t designed or carried out the myriad human rights violations that are so common in the world today. The key question asked in this volume is to what extent have courts merely abided by egregious practices, or perhaps have even lent a cover of legitimation-or conversely, the degree to which courts have purposely attempted to bring about some change in stemming governmental abuses. No single volume could cover every country experiencing gross levels of human rights abuses. The effort here has been to provide a cross section of judicial systems throughout the world, and to focus on judicial systems that have become involved in addressing human rights issues.
- Author BiographyMARK GIBNEY is Professor of Political Science at the University of North Carolina, Asheville. He has published extensively on legal and human rights issues, including Strangers or Friends: Principles for a New Alien Admission Policy (Greenwood, 1986) and Open Borders?, Closed Societies?: The Ethical and Political Issues (Greenwood, 1988). STANISLAW FRANKOWSKI is Professor of Law at the St. Louis University School of Law.
- Author(s)Mark Gibney,Stanislaw J. Frankowski
- Date of Publication30/01/1999
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight495 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.