All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $32.31Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
About this product
- DescriptionPublished in 1916, Juniata Memories was Henry W. Shoemaker's eighth volume of Pennsylvania folklore. Written in the author's typical literary style, this volume includes twenty-six legends set in Central Pennsylvania and the Juniata Valley. These stories, secured from old people, hermits, farmers, lumbermen, teamsters, hostlers, hunters, trappers, old soldiers, and their ladies, prominently feature the Stone, Kishacoquillas, and Penn's Valleys and the many towns that lie within and around them, such as Huntingdon, Lewistown, and Selinsgrove. The stories share a common theme with those in many of Shoemaker's other volumes, portraying Pennsylvania's pioneers as having a decidedly spiritual connection with nature. Juniata Memories includes some of Shoemaker's best-kwn legends, such as Nita-Nee: A Tradition of a Juniata Maiden (the story of Mount Nittany's formation in Centre County) and The Standing Stone: A Legend of the Ancient Oneidas (set in Huntingdon County). These popular tales stand alongside Shoemaker's telling of famous area love stories, ghost lore, supposed Indian legends, hunting lore, and even a story of buried treasure along the Susquehanna River. The volume is illustrated with scenic turn-of-the-century photographs taken by the Pennsylvania Railroad's official photographer.
- Author BiographyHenry W. Shoemaker (1880 1958) was the author of more than twenty volumes of popular Pennsylvania literary folklore and numerous narratives about Pennsylvania s disappearing wildlife during the first half of the twentieth century. He also served as Pennsylvania s first state folklorist from 1948 to 1956.
- Author(s)Henry W. Shoemaker
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight469 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.