All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEmpiricist philosophy of science of the kind that promised truth through method and a unification of science w lies in disarray. Arguments over the indeterminancy of theoretical language, the inadequacy of induction, the empirical incommensurability of competing theories, the possibility or im- possibility of scientific progress, and the applicability of natural science metatheory and methods to problems of human action have allIed to a loss in confidence. As it is commonly said, the philosophy of science is w in a postempiricist phase. It is a phase marked by heated disagreement over the possibility of empirically grounded scientific kwledge. Because the orienting assumptions of traditional psychology had been largely derived from the early logical empiricist program for science, the general deteriora- tion in confidence at the philosophic level was inevitably to have repercus- sions within psychology. The extensive ferment that has occurred within so- cial psychology over the past decade, often termed the crisis in social psychology, must properly be viewed within this context. And, in cases where criticisms of the traditional craft have been initiated on other than philosophical grounds, traditional logical empiricist answers have longer been found sustaining. In effect, the science of psychology longer rests on a firm metatheoretical base, and the future remains very much in the bal- ance. Within this critical period of search and reappraisal, there are few voices that equal in significance that of Edward Sampson.
- Author(s)Edward Sampson
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication12/12/2012
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleCritical Issues in Social Justice
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight343 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1983
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.