All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe connection between Middlesex, London and Westminster means that it is packed with facts about such well kwn interesting places and events as: Old Bailey, Newgate Prison, Coldbath Fields, Hicks's Hall, Ludgate Prison, the start of the Metropolitan Police, Tothill Fields, Tyburn, the Gordon Riots, Clerkenwell explosion and Middlesex. Guildhall is w scheduled as the home of the new UK Supreme Court...to mention just a few such items. From former times to the present day: plus 100 years at the Uxbridge Courthouse. It looks at justice ancient and modern, imprisonment, bridewells, 'houses of correction' and intriguing cases from the archives - the life and times of a part of Middlesex and the justices of the peace who gave up their time to public service.
- Author BiographyEileen M Bowlt was born and brought up in Yorkshire, but has lived in Middlesex for more than 40 years. A graduate in history and a qualified teacher she has specialised in research on the local history of parishes in north-west Middlesex, resulting in a number of publications: The Goodliest Place in Middlesex (1989) (which won the Alan Ball Author Award for Local History) Ruislip Past (1994); Ickenham and Harefield Past (1996); Stanmore Past (1998); Harrow Past (2000); and Around Ruislip (2007). She has written many articles for local history journals as well as contributing to and advising on other publications.
- Author(s)Eileen M. Bowlt
- PublisherWaterside Press
- Date of Publication29/09/2007
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationWinchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWaterside Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.