All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe most significant aspect of living in a kampong was its kampong spirit - or gotong royong. Though deprived of modern comforts like electricity or running water, multi-racial neighbours lived harmoniously with each other in their attap villages, had a wonderful zest for life and a strong sense of community. Kampong Spirit brings to life the colourful characters of the villagers with whom the Peranakan author, Josephine Chia, grew up at a kampong in Potong Pasir. The period 1955 to 1965 was also a dramatic era for Singapore. As the country struggled towards nationhood, the social and political events of this time and their effects are seen through the eyes of the common folk. This collection of delightful, real life short stories will take you through Singapore's history and heritage at a human level. For some, it will be a journey of discovery and for others it will be a time of reminiscing for those stalgic years.
- Author BiographyJosephine Chia is the winner of NAC's Arts Creation Fund 2011 which supported the writing and publication of this book. She is a Peranakan author who has won several UK Literary Awards and Prizes. Josephine writes both fiction and non-fiction and is internationally published in both.
- Author(s)Josephine Chia
- PublisherMarshall Cavendish International (Asia) Pte Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintMarshall Cavendish International (Asia) Pte Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width198 mm
- Height130 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $65.27
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.