All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book in English devoted to Kant's Opus postumum and its place in the Kantian oeuvre. Over the last few decades, the importance of this text for our understanding of Kant's philosophy has emerged with increasing clarity. Although Kant began it in order to solve a relatively mir problem within his philosophy, his reflections soon forced him to readdress virtually all the key problems of his critical philosophy: the objective validity of the categories, the dynamical theory of matter, the natures of space and time, the refutation of idealism, the theory of the self and its agency, the question of living organisms, the doctrine of the practical postulates and the idea of God, the unity of theoretical and practical reason, and the idea of transcendental philosophy itself. In the end Kant was convinced that these problems, some of which had preoccupied him throughout his career, could finally be brought to a coherent and adequate solution and integrated into a single philosophical conception. As Eckart Forster shows in his penetrating study, Kant's conviction deserves t only our intellectual respect but also our undivided philosophical attention. Forster provides detailed analyses of the key problems of Kant's Opus postumum and also relates them to Kant's major published writings. In this way he provides unique insights into the extraordinary continuity and inner dynamics of Kant's transcendental philosophy as it progresses toward its final synthesis.
- Author BiographyEckart Forster is Professor of Philosophy at Johns Hopkins University. He is also Honorary Professor of Philosophy at the Humboldt University in Berlin.
- Author(s)Eckart Forster
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication02/09/2002
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight258 g
- Width124 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.92Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.