All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this magisterial biography of Karl Marx, likely to be definitive for many years to come (John Gray, New York Review of Books), historian Jonathan Sperber creates a meticulously researched and multilayered portrait of both the man and the revolutionary times in which he lived. Based on unprecedented access to the recently opened archives of Marx's and Engels's complete writings, Karl Marx: A Nineteenth-Century Life provides a historical context for the personal story of one of the most influential and controversial political philosophers in Western history. By removing Marx from the ideological conflicts of the twentieth century that colored his legacy and placing him within the society and intellectual currents of the nineteenth century (Ian Kershaw), Sperber is able to present a full portrait of Marx as neither a soothsaying prophet of the modern world r the author of its darkest atrocities. This major biography fundamentally reshapes our understanding of a towering historical figure.
- Author BiographyJonathan Sperber, the author of The European Revolutions, 1848-1851, is the Curators' Professor of History at the University of Missouri. He has written extensively on the social and political history of nineteenth-century Europe.
- Author(s)Jonathan Sperber
- PublisherW W Norton & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication08/04/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiveright Publishing Corporation
- Content Note34 illustrations
- Weight950 g
- Width157 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.01Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.