All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKashmir's Contested Pasts is a longue duree history of the historical imagination in Kashmir. It explores the articulation, within Kashmir's multilingual historical tradition, of the idea of Kashmir and the idea of history in conversation with each other. Contrary to the tion that the Indian subcontinent did t produce histories in the pre-colonial period, the book uncovers the production, circulation, and consumption of a vibrant regional tradition of historical composition in its textual, oral, and performance forms from the late sixteenth century to the present. Analysing the deep linkages amongst Sanskrit, Persian, and Kashmiri narratives the book contends that these traditions drew on and informed each other to define Kashmir as a sacred landscape and polity. It argues that within this interconnected narrative tradition, Kashmir was, and continues to be, imagined as far more than simply an embattled territory or a tourist paradise. History and history writing, the book further illustrates, were defined in multiple ways-as tradition, facts, memories, stories, common sense, and spiritual practice. The book thus offers a historically grounded reflection on the memories, narrative practices, and institutional contexts that have informed imaginings of Kashmir and its past, and explores the challenges posed to these ideas in Kashmiri political culture today.
- Author BiographyChitralekha Zutshi is Associate Professor of History at the College of William and Mary, in Williamsburg, Virginia. She specializes in Modern South Asia, with particular interests in Islam in the Indian Subcontinent; interactions between religious identities, regional movements and nationalism in princely and colonial India; commodity and consumer cultures in Britain and colonial India; ideas of history and historiography in pre-colonial and colonial India. Kashmir's Contested Pasts is her second book.
- Author(s)Chitralekha Zutshi
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication24/07/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Content Note5 b/w
- Weight540 g
- Width147 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
- AU $21.70Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.