Katrina's Secrets: Storms After the Storm by C Ray Nagin, Ray Nagin (Paperback / softback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.02Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionREVISED EDITION: Gaining a firm grasp on the highly complex, famously fraught aftermath of Hurricane Katrina can seem as tenuous as its victims' shaky grasp on survival. Mayor C. Ray Nagin was there during the city of New Orleans' darkest hours. Charged with assessing the forces that swirled around him, the city's leader strove to maintain formidable calm in the face of the biggest natural and man-made disaster in America's history. That is, until he simply could t. Nagin's first-hand account, Katrina's Secrets: Storms after the Storm lays out the days leading up to and immediately following the storm. At once stirringly elegiac and disarmingly candid, this spellbinding reckoning delivers exacting detail, while boldly exposing secrets that, until w, have been glossed over or spun out. Nagin's team confronted thousands of calls pleading for rescue; politicos more keen to pose for photos than to pose solutions; broken promises from FEMA; the violent Superdome; and the controversial acts of some police. When he at last broke down in a radio interview, the world cried with him. Clear and compassionate, the author illuminates the magnitude of the efforts undertaken in response to the lives that hung in the balance and the actions taken to restore New Orleans to its rightful luster. Katrina's Secrets also provides crucial context of race and class to shed new and unnerving light on how the events played out. Throughout the searing narrative, Nagin's deep love of his native city shines through like a beacon in the treacherous, storm-tossed night. Any reader dumbfounded by the fallout of Katrina will cling to every graceful, gutsy page of this heartbreaking ode to a place like other, and its breathtaking comeback. Katrina's Secrets is certain to give ample pause for thought-and cause to act.
- Author BiographyC. Ray Nagin was born in New Orleans' Charity Hospital. He grew up in the inner city, graduating from the public school system. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Tuskegee Institute and a Masters of Business Administration from Tulane University. After a very successful career in corporate America, he entered the New Orleans mayoral race in 2002 and was elected the sixtieth Mayor of New Orleans. His administration initiated progressive policies that focused on transparency, fiscal accountability, and technological enhancement. They eliminated back-to-back budget deficits, significantly reduced poverty levels, facilitated billions in infrastructure projects, and launched a highly acclaimed city website. In August 2005, Nagin ordered the first-ever mandatory evacuation before Hurricane Katrina directly hit New Orleans. Prior to holding public office, he worked with a great team to transform Cox Communications' local operations into one of its most profitable assets. He is married to Seletha Smith Nagin, and they have three children, Jeremy, Jarin and Tianna.
- Author(s)C Ray Nagin,Ray Nagin
- Date of Publication01/06/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight413 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.