All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKawase Hasui (1883-1957) is considered the foremost Japanese landscape print artist of the 20th century. His work is characterized by a fascination with light, climatic conditions and tranquility. His oeuvre consists of over 700 designs of which the largest proportion was produced for the initiator of the Shin hanga ('new print') movement, Watanabe Shozaburo. Originally published in 2003, this groundbreaking publication on the life and work of Kawase Hasui is w available with a DVD, which includes a 1950s film on the artist and the production of one of his designs, a process book displaying all stages in the creation of a Japanese woodblock print, and designs which have been discovered since 2003.
- Author BiographyKendall H. Brown is Associate Professor in the Department of Art at California State University, Long Beach, California, where he teaches the art of India, China and Japan. Following his research into sixteenth- and seventeenth-century Japanese painting and publications such as The Politics of Reclusion: Painting and Power in Momoyama Japan (1997), his interests turned to the twenthieth century and to woodblock prints. His publications in this field include Kawase Hasui: The Complete Woodblock Prints (2003), abridged in Visions of Japan: Kawase Hasui's Masterpieces (2004). Counted among his exhibition catalogues are Taisho Chic: Japanese Modernity, Nostalgia and Deco (2002), A Japanese Legacy: Four Generations of Yoshida Family Artists (2002), Between Two Worlds: the Life and Art of Lilian May Miller (1998), Shin hanga: New Prints in Modern Japan (1996) and Light and Darkness: Women in Japanese Prints of Early Showa 1926-1945 (1996). He was also contributor to Art of the Japanese Postcard (2004). He is currently writing a social history of Japanese gardens in North America.
- Author(s)Amy Reigle Newland,Kendall Brown,Watanabe Shoichiro
- Date of Publication01/01/2003
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintHotei Publishing,The Netherlands
- Content Note670 colour illustrations
- Weight4650 g
- Width254 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine70 mm
- Contained items statement2 Hardbacks
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.