Keeping Faith in Faith-Based Organizations: A Practical Theology of Salvation Army Health Ministry by Dean Pallant (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.77Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSypsis: The world's poorest people are struggling to access quality, affordable health care. Change is urgently required. Faith-based organizations deliver more than 40 percent of health services in many of the poorest places. This book argues FBOs can--and must--deliver quality health services without sacrificing their faith in the process. Dean Pallant asks an awkward question: If its faith does t drive an FBO, whose faith does? Pallant visited Salvation Army health ministries in more than forty countries in four years, and this book records his global reflections structured around a practical theological model of enquiry. His goal is to identify a faithful future for hundreds of Salvation Army hospitals and clinics and thousands of congregation-based health ministries. Pallant finds answers in the work of Karl Polanyi, John Wesley, Stanley Hauerwas, William Booth, and Luke Bretherton, among others. Pallant challenges the bio-medical definition of health and proposes a comprehensive appreciation of people as healthy persons --the people God created us to be. Pallant's proposals are bold and far-reaching for the Salvation Army and other FBOs. They are insightful and challenging for everyone--of whatever faith--committed to improve the health of the poorest people. Endorsements: This is ...[a] pioneering book that combines prophetic vision, practical kw-how and academic rigor ...[Pallant] provides a compelling case study of the Salvation Army's worldwide health ministries, an account of what faithful ecclesial witness might involve in development and health work, and [a description of] how this contrasts with state- and market-centered approaches. --Luke Bretherton Reader in Theology & Politics King's College London I have been challenged and encouraged by Dean Pallant's fresh approach. This book is t a word in season for the Salvation Army alone. It is timely for any faith-based organization. The time has come for us to stand because of our faith in order to serve with compassion and grace. --Linda Bond General of the Salvation Army Through all her history the Church has been involved in health ministries. How is this ministry to be performed in today's world of poor and marginalized people? Is there a distinct role for faith-based health institutions shaped by their distinct identity and mission? Pallant's affirmative answer is based on both a careful analysis of today's context and solid theological reflection. This is practical theology at its best! --Kjell Nordstokke Professor Diakonhjemmet University College Norway Faith fuels an army of dedicated health care professionals serving the least, the last, and the lost in the most difficult areas of the world ...No one better articulates ...the necessity of these servants' calling than Major Dean Pallant ...Pallant opens a window into why faith-based health organizations foster healthy people ...[This is] a groundbreaking work in an engaging style. I could t put my copy down. --David Stevens, MD, MA (Ethics) Author Biography: Dean Pallant (DTh, King's College London) is a Salvation Army officer currently serving at its international headquarters in London coordinating health ministry in 124 countries.
- Author(s)Dean Pallant
- PublisherWipf & Stock Publishers
- Date of Publication05/03/2012
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationEugene
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWipf & Stock Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight304 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $36.67Trending at AU $37.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.