All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor the last twenty years, Dr Hawa Abdi and her daughters have run a refugee camp on their family farm t far from Mogadishu which has grown to shelter 90,000 displaced Somalis: men, women, and children in urgent need of medical attention. As Islamist militia groups have been battling for control of the country creating one of the most dire human rights crises in the world, Dr. Abdi's camp is a beacon of hope for the Somalis, most of whom have proper access to health care. She was recently held hostage by a militant groups who threatened her life and told her that because she's a woman she has right to run the camp. She refused to leave. This is t just the story of a woman doctor in a war torn Islamic country risking her life daily to minister to thousands of desperate people, it's also an inspiring story of a divorced woman and her two daughters, bound together on a mission to rehabilitate a country.
- Author BiographyDr Hawa Abdi, a Somalian human rights activist, lawyer, and doctor, specializing in gynecology, founded the Doctor Hawa Abdi Foundation. Glamour named her 'Woman of the Year', in 2010 and dubbed her and her daughters 'the Saints of Somalia, equal parts Mother Teresa and Rambo'. Dr Hawa Abdi has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.
- Author(s)Dr. Hawa Abdi
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication02/04/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVirago Press Ltd
- Content Note8pp col photos
- Weight374 g
- Width154 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.