All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKendal From Old Photographs offers an enchanting glimpse into this beautiful market town, located in the scenic Lake District. The town's roots can be traced back many centuries, however it was with the arrival of the Romans in the first century AD that the town really began to thrive. They constructed a wooden fort here located at present-day Watercrook, on a bend of the river Kent; with this came the emergence of trade links and the town began to grow. Six centuries after its Roman occupation, the Normans took up residence in the town. It is from this period in the town's history that the earliest indications of a name appear. It was kwn as Kirk Byre Ken Dale, which means 'Church Town in the Kent Dale'. It was granted a Market Charter in 1189 and this then heralded the town as we kw it today. Norman Holloway takes the reader on a visual journey throughout Kendal and the nearby area. Taking in many historical parts of the town, he has brought them to life with over 200 carefully selected and rare old photographs.
- Author BiographyBorn in Barrow-in-Furness, Norman Holloway was brought to Kendal as a young child. He first became interested in the changes that have taken place in Kendal in 1962 and has been involved with then and now images and video production ever since. Norman is the author of several books on the area, produced from his own image collection and that of the Kendal Civic Society. He lives in Kendal.
- Author(s)Norman Holloway
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication10/03/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleFrom Old Photographs
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note250
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.