All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPublished by the Kentucky Historical Society and Distributed by the University Press of Kentucky This period of Kentucky's history began with the unsettled society following the close of the Civil War, included bloody feuds, and closed with the tragic Goebel assassination. This book is the most thorough and most ambitious study yet made of that significant time, and the authors recapture the drama and color of these exciting, violent, partisan, and important years.Dr. Tapp and Dr. Klotter trace the progress -- or lack of it -- in such fields as agriculture, architecture, commerce, literature and general culture. They present the sporting and social life of both the masses and the elite. The story of the halting progress in education, the efforts of the men and women fighting for reform, the emerging fights for blacks' and womens' rights -- all are examined. Politics captured and held the people's attention, and the changing and transitional political history of the era is presented in depth. Over 70 pictures and maps create the atmosphere and temper of the times. Foottes, appendixes, an index and a bibliographical essay combine to make this a path-breaking study of a long neglected period in Kentucky history.
- Author BiographyHambleton Tapp of Versailles received his education at the University of Kentucky (Ph. D. 1950). He wrote and edited numerous books and articles on Kentucky history. James C. Klotter, State Historian and professor of history at Georgetown College, is the author and editor of several books, including A New History of Kentucky, History Mysteries, Our Kentucky, Kentucky: Land of Tomorrow, Kentucky: Portrait in Paradox, William Goebbel, and Faces of Kentucky.
- Author(s)Hambleton Tapp,James C Klotter
- PublisherUniversity Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication15/11/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Kentucky
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight830 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.47Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.