All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the Pulitzer Prize-winning Philadelphia Inquirer reporter William Ecenbarger comes the expose of a shocking scandal that ruined thousands of young lives--in paperback for the first time. As the Boston Globe wrote, The story is incredible: Thousands of children wrongfully sentenced to juvenile detention centers, many without legal representation and after cursory hearings, by two rogue judges in rthern Pennsylvania who received millions of dollars in bribes from the private institutions' owners. The story has all the elements of a true-crime legal thriller--mafia connections, colorful characters, corruption--and was made into a documentary of the same title, released in theaters in 2014. The Philadelphia Review of Books called the story harrowing, Library Journal called it shocking, and the Pittsburgh Tribune called it heartbreaking. When it was first released, Kids for Cash brought the story to national attention, where it has stayed ever since. As the Philadelphia Inquirer pointed out, this is the worst stain on Pennsylvania, a state with more than its share of stains...Bill Ecenbarger offers a detail-packed, sickening account of the scandal and its impact. Anyone caring about courts, justice or children should read it.
- Author BiographyWilliam Ecenbarger was part of a Philadelphia Inquirer reporting team that was awarded a Pulitzer Prize for their coverage of the Three Mile Island nuclear accident. Once an international correspondent for Reader's Digest, he has been published in the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Esquire, Audubon, and other leading newspapers and magazines. He is also the author of Walkin' the Line, a travel-history narrative about the Mason-Dixon Line. He lives with his wife, a travel photographer, in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)William Ecenbarger
- PublisherThe New Press
- Date of Publication02/09/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe New Press
- Weight318 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.