All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince its publication in 2000, hundreds of thousands of children all over the world have read and loved The Breadwinner. By reading the story of eleven-year-old Parvana and her struggles living under the terror of the Taliban, young readers came to kw the plight of children in Afghanistan. But what has happened to Afghanistan s children since the fall of the Taliban in 2001? In 2011, Deborah Ellis went to Kabul to find out. She interviewed children who spoke about their lives w. They are still living in a country torn apart by war. Violence and oppression still exist, particularly affecting the lives of girls, but the kids are weathering their lives with courage and optimism: I was incredibly impressed by the sense of urgency these kids have needing to get as much education and life experience and fun as they can, because they never kw when the boom is going to be lowered on them again. The two dozen or so children featured in the book range in age from ten to seventeen. Many are girls Deb met through projects funded by Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan, the organization that is supported by royalties from The Breadwinner Trilogy. Parvana s Fund provides grants towards education projects for Afghan women and children, including schools, libraries and literacy programs. All royalties from the sale of Kids of Kabul will also go to Women for Women in Afghanistan. Aftermatter includes a map, glossary, a short history of Afghanistan and suggestions for further reading/resources.
- Author BiographyDeborah Ellis is the author of over eighteen books, many of them bestsellers worldwide. She lives in Simcoe, Ontario.
- Author(s)Deborah Ellis
- PublisherGroundwood Books
- Date of Publication24/04/2012
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Series TitleNone
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintGroundwood Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width145 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $168.55
- AU $26.36Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.30
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.35
- AU $51.40Trending at AU $52.70
- AU $38.18Trending at AU $44.62
- AU $33.21Trending at AU $49.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.