All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book approaches parody as a literary form that has assumed diverse forms and functions throughout history. The author handles this diversity by classifying parody according to its objects of imitation and specifying three major parodic kinds: parody directed at texts and personal styles, parody directed at genre, and parody directed at discourse. The book argues that different literary-historical periods in Britain have witnessed the prevalence of different kinds of parody and investigates the reasons underlying this phemen. All periods from the Middle Ages to the present are considered in this regard, but a special significance is given to the postmodern age, where parody has become a widely produced literary form. The book contends further that postmodern parody is primarily discourse parody - a phemen which can be explained through the major concerns of postmodernism as a movement. In addition to situating parody and its kinds in a historical context, this book engages in a detailed analysis of parody in the postmodern age, preparing the ground for making an informed assessment of the direction parody and its kinds may take in the near future.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Nil Korkut is Assistant Professor at the Department of American Culture and Literature at Baskent University, Ankara (Turkey). She received her Ph.D. in English Literature from Middle East Technical University in 2005. Her research interests are literary theory, narrative theory, literary parody, the novel as a genre, modernism, and postmodernism. The author has given a variety of conference papers and published a number of articles on these subjects.
- Author(s)Nil Korkut
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/05/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften Reihe 14: Angelsachsische Sprache und Literatur
- Series Part/Volume Number449
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight200 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.