All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHarold II is chiefly remembered today, perhaps unfairly, for the brevity of his reign and his death at the Battle of Hastings. The papers collected here seek to shed new light on the man and his milieu before and after that climax. They explore the long career and the dynastic network behind Harold Godwinesson's accession on the death of King Edward the Confessor in January 1066, looking in particular at the important questions as to whether Harold's kingship was opportunist or long-planned; a usurpation or a legitimate succession in terms of his Anglo-Scandinavian kinships?They also examine the posthumous legends that Harold survived Hastings and lived on as a religious recluse. The essays in the second part of the volume focus on the Bayeux Tapestry, bringing out the small details which would have resonated significantly for contemporary audiences, both Norman and English, to suggest how they judged Harold and the other players in the succession drama of 1066. Other aspects of the Tapestry are also covered: the possible patron and locations the Tapestry was produced for; where and how it was designed; and the various sources - artistic and real - employed by the artist. Gale Owen-Crocker is Professor of Anglo-Saxon Culture at the University of Manchester.
- Author BiographyGale R. Owen-Crocker is Professor of Anglo-Saxon Culture at the University of Manchester.
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication15/06/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitlePublications of the Manchester Centre for Anglo-Saxon Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 3
- Place of PublicationWoodbridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2005
- ImprintThe Boydell Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight482 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byGale R. Owen- Crocker
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.