All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.10
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.94
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.68
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.26
- AU $12.24Trending at AU $21.04
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.66
About this product
- DescriptionWhen it was released in 1885, this was praised as The most amazing story ever written, becoming an instant best-selling classic. Allan Quatermain is a professional big game hunter, who also hunts fortune on the side. He is approached by an English aristocrat whose brother has gone missing while traveling in Africa and they set out to find him. Along the way, they discover a map to the ancient, fabled King Solomon's Mines and encounter many dangerous obstacles and evil individuals.
- Author BiographyHenry Rider Haggard was born on June 22, 1856, in Bradenham, Norfolk, England, the eighth of ten children. His father was a barrister and his mother was an author and poet. Although his brothers all attended private schools, his father, figuring he would never amount to anything, sent him to a public elementary school. Later, he failed the entrance exam to the army. In 1875, his father sent him to South Africa to take an unpaid job. It was here, that Haggard raised the British flag and read the proclamation that Britain was annexing the Boer Republic of the Transvaal. He also fell in love, but his father forbid him to marry. Upon returning to England in 1880, he married Mariana Louisa Margitson, a friend of his sister. They had four children, one of whom also became an author. While there, he also studied law, beginning a practice in 1884. Haggard preferred writing however, writing King Solomon's Mines, the first of the 18 Allan Quatermain series in 1885. He died on May 14, 1925, at the age of 68, in London.
- Author(s)Sir H Rider Haggard
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication25/03/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byRichard S Hartmetz
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.