All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe events of 1000-1130 were crucial to the successful emergence of the medieval kingdom of the Scots. Yet this is one of the least researched periods of Scottish history. We probably w kw more about the Picts than the post-1000 events that underpinned the spectacular expansion of the small kingdom which came to dominate rth Britain by the 1130s. This expansion included the defeat and absorption of other significant cultural and political groups to the rth and south of the core kingdom, and was accompanied by the introduction of reformed monasticism. But perhaps the most momentous process amongst all these political and cultural changes was the move towards the domination of the kingship by just one segment of the royal kindred, the sons of King Mael Coluim mac Donnchada's second marriage to Queen Margaret. The story of how these sons managed to achieve political supremacy through machination, murder and mutilation runs like an unsavoury thread throughout this book. The book also investigates the building blocks from which the kingdom was constructed and the various processes which eventually allowed the kings of the different peoples of rth Britain to describe themselves as Rex scottorum. It is a hugely rewarding voyage of discovery for anyone interested in the formation of the kingdom of the Scots.
- Author BiographyAlasdair Ross graduated from the University of Aberdeen with an MA in History and Celtic in 1999 and a PhD in 2003.He is currently a lecturer in history at the University of Stirling. He was co-editor of The Exercise of Power in Medieval Scotland, c.1200-1500 (2003) and is Editor of the magazine History Scotland.
- Author(s)Alasdair Ross
- PublisherJohn Donald Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Donald Short Run Press
- Content Noteb&w plates
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.