All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDoes kinship still matter in today's globalized, increasingly mobile world? Do family structures continue to influence the varied roles that men and women play in different cultures? Answering with a resounding yes! , Linda Stone offers a lively introduction to and working kwledge of kinship. She firmly links these concepts to cross-cultural gender studies, illuminating the malleable nature of gender roles around the world and over time. Written to engage students, each chapter provides key terms and useful generalizations gleaned through cross-cultural research on the interplay of kinship and gender in both traditional societies and contemporary communities. Detailed case studies help students understand how such generalizations are experienced in real life. Stone also considers the ramifications of current social problems and recent developments in reproductive techlogy as she demonstrates the relevance of kinship and gender to students' lives. The fully-revised fifth edition features discussion of cross-cultural examples complimented by expanded coverage of kinship and gender dynamics within the United States. Stone considers current evolutionary research on kinship and gender, and offers new case studies addressing international adoptions and polygyus marriage. An entirely new chapter explores the globalization of kinship in the 21st century. The result is a broad and captivating exploration of anthropological approaches to family and gender.
- Author BiographyLinda Stone is professor emeritus of anthropology at Washington State University. She is the coauthor of Gender and Culture in America and Genes, Culture, and Human Evolution.
- Author(s)Linda Stone
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication08/08/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationBoulder, CO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestview Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, black & white tables, maps, figures
- Weight428 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement5th Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.