All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionOver recent decades we have witnessed the globalization of research. However, this has yet to translate into a worldwide scientific network, across which competencies and resources can flow freely. Arab countries have strived to join this globalized world and become a 'kwledge ecomy,' yet little time has been invested in the region's fragmented scientific institutions; institutions that should provide opportunities for individuals to step out on the global stage. Kwledge Production in the Arab World investigates research practices in the Arab world, using multiple case studies from the region with particular focus on Leban and Jordan. It depicts the Janus-like face of Arab research, poised between the negative and the positive and faced with two potentially opposing strands; local relevance alongside its internationalization. The book critically assesses the role and dynamics of research and poses questions that are crucial to further our understanding of the very particular case of kwledge production in the Arab region. The book explores research's relevance and whom it serves, as well as the methodological flaws behind academic rankings and the meaning and application of key concepts such as kwledge society/ecomy. Providing a detailed and comprehensive examination of kwledge production in the Arab world, this book is of interest to students, scholars and policy makers working on the issues of research practices and status of science in contemporary developing countries.
- Author BiographySari Hanafi is Professor of Sociology and Chair of the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Media Studies at the American University of Beirut. He is also the editor of Idafat: The Arab Journal of Sociology and the Vice President of the International Sociological Association and the Arab Council of Social Science. Rigas Arvanitis is Sociologist and Senior Researcher at the Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement (IRD), specializing in the sociology of science and innovation, and research policy. He is also Director of the French consortium on research, innovation and society (IFRIS).
- Author(s)Rigas Arvanitis,Sari Hanafi
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/12/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleRoutledge Advances in Middle East and Islamic Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note60 black & white illustrations, 57 black & white tables, 3 black & white halftones, 57 black & white line drawings
- Weight657 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.